We still have a few warm days left a summer, chances are weeks. While I love the chill of the fall, summer still lives to be one of my favorite times of the year. During the summer, life is semi-carefree and the food some of my favorite (besides fall). This is probably one of my last summer recipes and quite frankly one of my favorites. I whipped this up for Labor Day last week and have found a new staple for warmer weather to come (or really any time of year you wish).
A simple cucumber and tomato salad with chunks of pita mixed in. I really love panzanella salads, with chunks of Italian bread that soak up the flavor from the dressings and veggies. Here I used pita as it went with the Mediterranian theme of this salad. The only thing missing is tahini, so add it on if you must.
This tofu recipe is super easy and can go with almost any salad, it is pretty much my go when I have little time to prepare some healthy protein. It is best to let it marinade for a little time, but if you don’t have the time it won’t hurt to throw this right in the oven. I prefer fresh herbs but when I am in no mood to chop, which is most of the time, dried herbs still satisfies for flavor. Feel free to mix up the herbs and experiment with your own combos.
For the salad:
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 3 scallions, greens and whites chopped
- 1 cup of parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pitas, torn into pieces
- 4 cups of arugula
For the tofu:
- 2 packs extra firm tofu, drained of excess water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Set oven to 400 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Cube up drained tofu and place in a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl mix the soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, and basil. Pour over the tofu and let it marinate for at least 5 minutes. Place on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until your desired crispiness.
- Chop all the vegetables and place the cucumber, tomato, scallions, parsley, and arugula in a large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Toss in torn pita piece. Serve with warm tofu and feel free to drizzle on fresh tahini.