While kale salads are now commonplace, I am always looking for ways to refresh and renew my typical recipes. My friend recently told me about this amazing almond butter dressing she had. Whenever I hear something new to me, I want to take a stab at creating my own.
The ginger and lemon bring bright, fresh flavor to this hearty kale salad. The sweet pomegranates and roasted squash make this salad complete. I prefer my kale finely chopped, not only for the texture but also for easier digestibility. As with most kale salads, it tastes best the next day. If you plan on keeping this salad for a few days to eat throughout the week, I recommend dressing the kale and storing the toppings separately, adding just prior to eating. For a complete meal, add chicken, tofu, tempeh, black beans or shrimp.
Enjoy! As always, post if you make and tag me @nutritionbygabby on Instagram and @nutritiongabby on Twitter!
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 medium clove of garlic (or 2 small), chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5-6 cups finely chopped curly kale
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 ½ cups roasted butternut squash
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Toss dressing over the kale and mix until kale is coated evenly with the dressing.
- Top with pomegranate seeds and butternut squash.
- Store up to 4 days in an air tight container.