As someone who loves tacos, I was looking for a decent vegetarian or vegan taco recipe that’s more than just veggies. Chickpeas, a great non-meat alternative, were the protein medium I went for in this dish. Roasted with traditional latin spices, these chickpea tacos get an extra layer of nutrient power from the crunchy spiced quinoa on top. Sautéed onion, peppers and corn add some veggie and nutrient goodness. This recipe using a latin spice mixture called Tajín, one of my favorites, that you can find in most supermarkets (even in 7-11!). Guacamole makes the perfect creamy topping, adding in healthy fats. Enjoy!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chipotle or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper, slices
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1 tsp Taín
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Homemade or store bought guacamole
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Prepare spice mix by combing cumin, chipotle, paprika, oregano, garlic and salt. In a bowl, coat chickpeas with olive oil and a little over half the spice mix.
3. On a roast pan, lay out parchment paper. Lay chickpeas out flat and place in oven for 15 minutes.
4. In the same bowl, place the half cup of precooked quinoa and mix with olive oil and remaining spice mixture. When chickpeas are done, place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes, until quinoa is crispy. Be careful not to burn.
5. Heat a medium pan on medium high heat. Add olive oil and sautéed pepper and onion until soft, about 10 minutes.
6. Using the same pan, add about 1/2 tsp olive oil and sauté the corn kernels with Tajín spice powder (or chili powder, salt and lime if you do not have Tajín).
6. To assemble the taco, briefly warm the tortilla in microwave for 10 seconds. First place the pepper and onion mixture, followed by the spiced corn. Top with chickpeas, sprinkle with 1-2 tsp of crunchy quinoa and a generous dollop of guacamole. Serve with lime wedges.